Archive for January, 2009

The Path of the Eternal Traveler

Tuesday, January 20th, 2009

Almost forty years ago — yes, such a long time ago that I feel it was a “former life.” I was on the road for sometime. I was driven by a desire to go somewhere very far – to the end of the world if you will. Back then, in Istanbul, there was a legendary cafe, well-known among backpackers. Istanbul, as you know, is a city located on the border between the East and the West, facing Bosporus Strait. For travellers like myself, who were to cross to “the other side,” Istanbul had a special significance not only as a geographic border, but also as an emotional one. If I remember correctly, this famous cafe was located near Topkapi Palace and Grand Bazaar. The place was constantly flooded with information exchanged among travellers from around the world. “Survivors” who returned to the West, skinny and exhausted, would be telling everyone about the Eastern world they had just glimpsed, with eyes showing fresh exaltation. Those who were planning to journey to the East would be all ears, trying to catch every single word. On the bulletin board, one found numerous notes and messages. In this flood of information, travellers turned their eyes to the directions they would be heading, and in the morning they would leave alone for wherever they decided to go.

I hope this online forum can serve like the bulletin board in the legenday cafe in Istanbul, for those “travellers” who will go on an adventure into a foreign world called “Japanese Culture” by going through a tiny door called “sake-making”. In other words, I want this site to serve as a navigator for each of you, and a center of information for all the spiritual travellers who pass by. I wish all of you a wonderful journey, and lots of good luck.

Yasutaka Daimon